August 14, 2011

Four weeks out of Africa

posted by janine

Saturday 13 August we are flying back to Europe! It’s pretty strange to realize this. But the Rwanda chapter isn’t done. After a LOT of thinking and doubts, we eventually decided to extend our Rwanda adventure with a few more months. This means that we are only going to Holland / Denmark for 4 weeks now and then return to Kigali until around Christmas.

This way, we can both feel that we have the time to get stuff done and ‘round off’ work here, for as much as you can say or do that. Mikkel’s hoping to turn Educat into a proudly sailing ship (rather than a, well…slightly sinking one;) and me I’m hoping to make some sort of longlasting contribution in my combined jobs. That is: getting schoolbooks & training to the schools and (the other half of me) helping coffee farmers to get better market opportunities. So far it didn't make me schizophrenic so i guess i can continue the recepee. My weekly aerobic/'gym tonic' class helps me to stay straight!

Gym Tonic class (starring mzungu Tine on the left)

Regarding the coffee job: I just extended my contract with SNV to finish my advise & communication material for them! Last week I have made a presentation on different business models and certification systems (including Fairtrade) that could be beneficial for coffee farmer organizations here to increase their income. This was the result of my three month project, where I visited a lot of (beautifully located) coffee stations and other people in this interesting and nice-smelling business. It was a great experience so I am glad that I can continue for a bit longer.

Coffee washing station in the countryside
At the same time I have also extended my work with Drakkar, the publishing agent. (And hopefully a Danish girl is going to join me in my struggle) so I think i can look forward to another 4 months with plenty to do :)

My dear colleagues at Drakkar (note the garage...)
This is what I will miss this coming month:
  • The African sun and the great trips in Rwanda and to neighbouring countries
  • The hilarious weekly ´Gym tonic´: always the same music and always the same people!
  •  The smell of  freshly roasted Rwandan coffee
  • My regular run through the beautiful green valley with kids running or yelling after you
  • Cruising over the hills of Kigali on the back of a moto
  • My lovely housemates and colleagues (except for the one trying to convert me)
  • The Friday night moves of the ‘dancing docters’

And-to complete the story- this is what I will NOT miss from Africa:
  • My phone stalker 
  • Things that are being fixed but are never really fixed...
  • The garage office at Drakkar
  •  The all too common perception that you’re simply rich because you’re white
  • Community work (umuganda) on the first Saturday of the month. (someting  we always avoid, except once)


    Neighbourhood solidarity: Joining umuganda to fix our road...for the photo. As you see, everyone is working hard! (ok not to mention that we joined them 3 hours late)


Hopefully these pictures also gave a bit of an insight in my life in Kigali. But for now…looking forward to being in Europe and seeing most of you, dear readers, somewhere between now and September 12!!!

janine

No comments: